How to Celebrate National Single Parents Day on March 21
Celebrate with us! March 21 is National Single Parents Day, and we at H.O.P.E. Inc. are thrilled to encourage and spur on the single mothers and fathers in our community on this special day.
Did you know that as of 2023, over 15 million children live with a single mother in the US, and over 3 million children live with a single father? Single parents are everywhere, and it’s a hard job to raise children on your own. Balancing work, school, child care, and more — being a single parent takes sacrifice, grit, and steadfastness.
It’s important that single parents feel seen and supported by their community. On National Single Parents Day, we have an opportunity to uplift single parents and celebrate them for the work they do and love they give.
Here are a couple ways that you can celebrate National Single Parents Day this year, whether you are a single parent or are close to one.
If you are a single parent:
- Make the day special! Treat yourself to a nice meal, plan a fun activity to do with your kids, or just take an evening to rest and focus on self-care. You deserve it!
- Use this day as a chance to share your experiences as a single mother or father. If you post on social media, you can use the hashtag #NationalSingleParentsDay to connect with other families.
- Meet up with other single parents to celebrate, whether that is hosting a dinner or planning a hangout for the kids to play together while the adults get time to chat.
- Take some time to reflect on how you’ve grown and gained strength over the years. Write in a journal or take a quiet walk, spending some time with yourself.
If you support a single parent:
- Show your support! Offer to watch the kids for an evening, invite the family over for dinner, or run an errand for the parent to lighten his or her load.
- Give some encouragement — write a letter or call single parents you know to give them some praise for the work they are doing. Affirm them that they are doing a great job!
- Look into supporting a local women’s shelter or single parents support center, and consider volunteering or donating to help out.
At H.O.P.E. Inc., we celebrate single parents every day, helping them to pursue their dream careers by supporting them through their higher education experience. We believe that single parents can change the trajectory of families for generations to come, and we want to give them the best foot forward through offering them financial assistance, life coaching, and additional resources.